Wednesday, July 25

Rain... [Tuesday, July 24]

I woke up to my alarm at six thirty, but the rains had commenced, so I went back to sleep to the soothing sound of the rain pounding against the zinc roofs outside my window. Life pretty much halts in Freetown when it starts to rain, and if one doesn't absolutely have to go somewhere, one simply stays at home, so I played Sierra Leonean and sat at the YMCA, writing and trying to figure out how to best spend the three weeks I have left in Sierra Leone.

I arrived at iEARN around noon and continued reviewing pictures with my students for a few hours, although the center was rather inactive with the rain I then met Rachel at the supermarket to buy food for dinner - Adam had purchased a kerosene stove and accompanying cookware. We decided to make curry and couscous, but we had problems finding a package of curry spice that had directions on the back - there's no "5 minute meal" on these curry packages. We finally discovered a package that had a recipe which involved chickpeas and a few other items. We stopped by the market to buy some fruit and vegetables - I just wanted to buy one mango, but the woman would only sell me six. Anyways, about ten of us enjoyed the curry which was incredibly spicy but still tasty. Moses and I made fried plantains, which, although not quite like Mama's, were delicious.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home